This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we are able to present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Szechuan hen is all about daring flavors, with the proper steadiness of warmth, sweetness, and tanginess. And the perfect half? It’s means higher than the takeout model! Let’s hearth up these style buds and get cooking!
As a lot as I really like Chinese language takeout, it may well get expensive. I’ll allow you to in on a secret- you may make your entire Chinese language takeout faves at dwelling with just some easy components! A couple of of my favourite recipes to strive: gradual cooker Basic Tso’s hen, kung pao shrimp, and a few crispy crab rangoon to finish your meal!
What’s Szechuan Hen?
Szechuan hen is a mouthwatering Chinese language dish that’s liked by many, and for good motive! Hailing from the Sichuan (therefore the identify) province of China, it’s recognized for its daring and spicy flavors that pack a punch. The dish sometimes options juicy hen items tossed in a glaze made with candy chili sauce, garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. It’s an ideal mix of warmth, tanginess, and umami flavors that make it an absolute knockout dish.
Whereas Szechuan hen is actually a fan favourite at many Chinese language takeout joints, there’s one thing particular about making it at dwelling. (Discover my full listing of “higher than takeout” recipes right here!) Not solely are you able to management the spice stage to your liking, however you may as well experiment with totally different components and strategies to make it your personal. Belief me, this juicy, saucy hen is certain to be successful at your own home. Serve it with white rice or fried rice, and perhaps even some fast and simple air fryer wontons! With a dinner this tasty, your loved ones will need Szechuan hen to be an everyday within the dinner rotation.
To make this scrumptious Chinese language traditional, you’ll want components like 5 spice, chili sauce, and Chinese language black vinegar- all of which may be discovered at your native Asian grocer. And let me let you know, it’s well worth the journey! So seize your procuring listing and let’s get cooking! Word: to make the flavour of this dish even higher, I used home made Szechuan sauce. Try my recipe right here to be sure you have all of the components for it!
- Boneless Skinless Hen Breasts: Hen is coated in a mix of cornstarch and Chinese language 5 spice, giving it a crispy texture and a burst of tasty taste. You may also use sliced pork or beef as an alternative.
- Chinese language Black Vinegar and Soy Sauce: To steadiness out the warmth and acidity of a number of the different components, I add Chinese language black vinegar and soy sauce. These two components work collectively so as to add tanginess and a contact of saltiness to the dish.
- Chinese language 5 Spice: A aromatic mix of spices that features cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, star anise, and Szechuan peppercorns. You should buy this premade or make your personal mix!
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch not solely helps to crisp up the hen, but in addition acts as a thickener for the sauce, giving it a shiny and silky texture.
- Vegetable Oil: Used to fry the hen and veggies to crispy perfection. You may also use sesame oil as a substitute, to infuse the dish with just a little extra taste.
- Greens: For some colour, recent taste, and additional texture, I added diced yellow onion, sugar snap peas, chopped broccoli and crimson bell peppers. Be happy to modify any of those out with what you have got in your fridge!
- Szechuan Sauce: This spicy, candy, and savory sauce offers the hen its signature daring taste.
The right way to Make Szechuan Hen
This recipe for Szechuan hen is really easy! Whisk up your sauce, seize your wok, after which cook dinner your entire components collectively! You’ll have daring, juicy hen prepared very quickly.
- Reduce Hen, Put together Marinade: Reduce your hen breasts into chew dimension chunks. In a medium bowl, mix your black vinegar, soy sauce, Chinese language 5 spice, and cornstarch. Whisk to mix. Add your hen to the bowl after which toss to coat evenly. Cowl and permit the hen to marinate for half-hour at room temperature.
- Fry Hen: In a big skillet, wok, or frying pan, over medium excessive warmth, warmth your vegetable oil. As soon as your oil is scorching sufficient, add in your marinated hen, slowly to keep away from scorching oil forking out. Fry the hen for about 5 minutes, turning to brown the hen evenly. Then take away the hen from the pan.
- Sauté Greens: In a big wok, warmth 2 tablespoons of your oil over medium excessive warmth, add in your onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, snap peas, broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots. Stir fry your greens for 5-6 minutes then add in your cooked hen.
- Add Sauce: Cut back the warmth to medium and pour your Szechuan sauce over the hen and greens and proceed to stir fry every thing collectively till your greens have tenderized.
- Serve: Take away from warmth and serve your hen stir fry over rice.
Ideas and Variations
This Szechuan hen recipe is fairly easy, however listed below are a number of further suggestions to remember. I do know you’ll love the way it seems! It could even rival your favourite Chinese language takeout spot.
- Use Hen Thighs: If you happen to’re feeling adventurous, strive utilizing hen thighs as a substitute of hen breasts for an additional juicy and flavorful dish.
- Swap Out Vinegar: Don’t have Chinese language black vinegar available? No drawback – you may substitute with balsamic vinegar for the same tangy taste.
- Keep away from Overcrowding Pan: Don’t overcrowd your skillet or wok if you fry your hen. Work in batches if wanted so every bit has sufficient room to fry and crisp up.
- Add Nuts: A typical addition in Chinese language takeout, including issues like peanuts or cashews offers the dish further taste and texture!
- Garnish: For a picture-perfect crowning glory, high with sesame seeds and chopped inexperienced onions!
- Low-Carb/ Keto-Pleasant Meal: Swap out white rice for cauliflower rice if you wish to hold carbs low.
Actually, Szechuan hen is a meal by itself if you serve it over some white rice. You’ve your protein, carbs, and engaging recent veggies, too! However what would a dinner impressed by Chinese language takeout be with out some selection? If you happen to’re feeling bold, these are a number of extra nice recipes to make alongside this tasty hen. Excellent news is, they’re tremendous straightforward to whip up!
You’ve received to maintain any leftovers you might have of your Szechuan hen! Chinese language meals is nice for storing and reheating. Pop it within the microwave, warmth up some Minute Rice, and you’ve got a fast and scrumptious meal in your palms.
- Within the Fridge: Switch Szechuan hen to an hermetic container and retailer for as much as 4 days. If you’re able to take pleasure in it, reheat over the range or within the microwave till warmed by.
Reduce your hen breasts into chew dimension chunks. In a medium bowl, mix your black vinegar, soy sauce, Chinese language 5 spice, and cornstarch whisk to mix. Add your hen to the bowl and toss to coat evenly. Cowl and permit the hen to marinate for 3o minutes at room temperature.
In a frying pan, over medium excessive warmth, warmth your vegetable oil. As soon as your oil is scorching sufficient, add in your marinated hen, slowly to keep away from scorching oil forking out. Fry the hen for about 5 minutes, turning to brown the hen evenly. Take away the hen from the pan.
In a big wok, warmth 2 tablespoons of your oil over medium excessive warmth, add in your onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, snap peas, broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots. Stir fry your greens for 5-6 minutes then add in your cooked hen.
Cut back the warmth to medium and pour your szechuan sauce over the hen and greens and proceed to stir fry every thing collectively till your greens have tenderized.
Take away from warmth and serve over rice.
Energy239kcal (12%)Carbohydrates13g (4%)Protein36g (72%)Fats4g (6%)Saturated Fats1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats1gTrans Fats0.02gLdl cholesterol97mg (32%)Sodium1576mg (66%)Potassium795mg (23%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar7g (8%)Vitamin A943IU (19%)Vitamin C52mg (63%)Calcium43mg (4%)Iron2mg (11%)
All dietary info relies on third get together calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.