This sizzling and tacky Maryland crab dip will get the stamp of approval from locals and out-of-towners alike. For the most effective style and texture, use recent lump crab meat and the opposite 8 substances listed, together with cream cheese, Previous Bay seasoning, and cheddar cheese. Sluggish cooked or baked, that is essentially the most irresistible dip. Attracts a crowd each time I make it!
One reader, Jennifer, commented: “My sister and I grew up in Columbia, MD and now dwell in Dallas, TX. I made this dip for NY Day soccer with our husbands. It was completely scrumptious! Everybody liked it, which you realize as a Marylander too -we are robust critics of crab dishes. ★★★★★“
Stroll into just about any Maryland restaurant and also you’re sure to seek out sizzling crab dip on the menu. It’s our staple. Generally served on comfortable pretzels and generally baked in a skillet, however at all times vital order. We eat it on hen (often referred to as “Hen Chesapeake”) or in quesadillas, however the easiest way to serve sizzling tacky crab dip is with recent bread, pita wedges, celery, and/or sturdy crackers.
Right here in Maryland, WE LOVE OUR CRAB DIP.
This Scorching Crab Dip Is:
- Made with jumbo lump crab, identical to crab pretzels
- Tacky dip meets crab desserts
- Irresistibly creamy
- Previous Bay-seasoned
- Baked or gradual cooked, your alternative
- Additional fast, no pre-cooking
- Nothing lower than an enormous hit, assured!
This does Maryland justice!
Search the web and also you’ll discover hundreds of thousands of crab dip recipes. They’re all centered round—you guessed it—crab, however the different substances can differ. I’ve tasted dozens of crab dips (I’m surrounded by it!) and I do know what works, and what doesn’t.
The Greatest Crab Dip Elements
These are the 9 substances you want to make the most effective Maryland crab dip on the planet. And that’s not an exaggeration. I do know lifelong Maryland locals who swear by this one!!!!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the bottom of this dip. No substitutions right here.
- Mayonnaise: I don’t like mayonnaise and I nonetheless love this crab dip. You don’t want a lot—simply sufficient to skinny out the cream cheese and add that mandatory creamy dip texture.
- Bitter Cream: Some crab dip recipes name for simply mayo and cream cheese, however I like to interrupt down these heavier substances with tangy bitter cream.
- Cheddar Cheese: You should use sharp cheddar or white cheddar if desired, however don’t use one other cheese that has a stronger taste since you don’t wish to overpower the crab.
- Floor Mustard: A splash of mustard is a key ingredient in any Maryland crab cake recipe and we’re utilizing one thing related right here, too. Floor mustard is critical—and don’t fear, you don’t style mustard.
- Lemon Juice: Contemporary, balancing taste!
- Previous Bay Seasoning: This salty spice is a staple in Maryland, the place it’s made, particularly with crab.
- Worcestershire Sauce: A lot taste. You don’t want loads—simply 2 teaspoons.
- Lump Crab Meat: For the very best crab dip, I like to recommend utilizing lump crab meat or a mixture of lump crab meat and backfin meat. Lump crab meat ensures these huge, mouthwatering bites of crab.
A splash of sizzling sauce is scrumptious, too!
How one can Make Scorching Crab Dip
You’re solely about 30–35 minutes away from this bliss.
- Beat the cream cheese first. You need it tremendous creamy and clean.
- Beat in the remainder of the substances, besides the crab.
- Gently fold within the crab meat. Keep away from utilizing a mixer for this step since you don’t wish to fully break down the lump crab.
- Sluggish prepare dinner or bake. Sluggish prepare dinner on low for 3–4 hours till sizzling and creamy; or bake in a casserole dish, pie dish, or oven-safe skillet for 25 minutes, or till browned and bubbly across the edges.
The method is fast, easy, and foolproof so long as you’re utilizing the suitable substances. A handheld or stand mixer is certainly useful and makes mixing simpler, however I’ve combined it collectively by hand earlier than too.
Serving Crab Dip
For serving, hold issues easy. You need the flavors from the dip to shine, so don’t serve with crackers or breads with overpowering flavors. Baguette slices, toasted artisan bread (pictured!), or sturdy crackers/pita chips are key so you may scoop up all that lump crab.
Greatest Crab Meat for Crab Dip
On the market, you’ll find canned, frozen, or recent (refrigerated) crab meat. Unrefrigerated canned crab meat doesn’t have the freshest taste (clearly). If you want to use canned, search for canned crab meat within the refrigerated part of your market. The brisker the crab meat, the higher the crab dip will style.
Crab meat labeled “hand-picked” or “fresh-picked” is absolutely cooked and offered in plastic tubs by the butcher or seafood counter. That is what I at all times use for crab desserts and crab dip, and extremely encourage you to make use of the identical right here. It’s pricier than canned, however you’ve a totally totally different (and recent) product. Don’t fear, all the opposite substances are fairly cheap, particularly if you are going to buy store-brand or discover them on sale.
Ask your grocer the place to seek out the freshest crab meat within the retailer. I buy recent crab meat offered in a 1-pound tub from the seafood counter.
This DOES NOT disappoint!
Even Extra Appetizer Recipes
For the most effective texture, use lump crab meat and every ingredient listed. No substitutions! Serve with crusty baguette, sturdy crackers, celery sticks, or pita wedges. For extra success ideas and to study which crab meat to make use of, see weblog publish above.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- In a big mixing bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high pace till clean and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the mayonnaise, bitter cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, floor mustard, lemon juice, Previous Bay seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and sizzling sauce (if utilizing). Beat on medium-high pace till mixed. Utilizing a spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold within the lump crab meat. In the event you used sizzling sauce, style, then add extra sizzling sauce if desired.
- Switch to a 9-inch (or barely bigger) baking pan, pie dish, or oven-safe skillet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till sizzling and bubbly across the edges.
- Serve heat.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the microwave or in a 350°F (177°C) oven till warmed all through.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You possibly can absolutely assemble this crab dip, cowl tightly, and refrigerate for as much as 2 days earlier than baking/gradual cooking and serving. You may as well freeze the unbaked or baked (and cooled) crab dip for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed; or, if already baked, thaw and warmth in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 25 minutes or till warmed all through.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Glass Mixing Bowl | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Wood Spoon or Rubber Spatula | Oven-Protected Skillet
- Be sure you’re utilizing a block of cream cheese, not cream cheese unfold. I’ve used lower-fat substances with no downside like reduced-fat (not fat-free) cream cheese, bitter cream, and mayo, however the dip clearly tastes richer with the full-fat variations.
- Previous Bay: Use 2 teaspoons for a spicier kick. (I often do!)
- Which Crab Meat to Use: For any questions concerning which crab meat to make use of, see Greatest Crab Meat for Crab Dip within the weblog publish above. I extremely suggest recent (refrigerated) lump crab meat.
- Sluggish Cooker: Comply with steps 2 and three. As an alternative of transferring to a baking dish, spoon into your gradual cooker (don’t add the 1/4 cup of cheese on prime) and prepare dinner on low for 3–4 hours till sizzling and creamy. Stir often because it cooks. Over the past half-hour, sprinkle 1/4 cup reserved cheddar cheese on prime.